Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Beginning...

I decided to start at the beginning of this journey and explain how this all started.

As many of you already know we have done the expat thing before.  We loved our 4 years of living in Thailand.  I do believe once you live as an expat overseas it is in your blood and you always think about doing it again.  Now don't get me wrong, when you come back to the states you are thrilled to be home, excited to have family and friends close by, but you still miss the excitement of expat life.

Our current story actually started almost a year ago.

Robert received a phone call from a friend who was also an expat telling him about a project in Colombia.  At the time Robert was in the middle of another project and we actually talked about it like it was just a dream.  We discussed  Colombia and how exciting an international assignment would be, and that was the end of it.  We both thought it was something that would probably never really happen, but it was fun to dream of that lifestyle again.

Fast forward about 7 or 8 months ago (and yes it took that long for all the paperwork and pieces to fall into place) and it became REAL!  The talks began and as former expats we knew it could go fast or really slow.  We decided not to share with anyone until we had a better idea of how REAL the offer was.  Once we felt certain that it was going to happen, we had a family meeting with our children to discuss and decide if this was the right decision for our family.  Our daughters are expat children so it is in their blood also and the decision was 100% in favor of this opportunity.

Next came the endless paperwork, Dr visits, work visa paperwork and finally the day arrived for departure.  Leaving for an overseas assignment involves lots and lots of preparation both personal and work related.  Decisions about what to do with your home, belongings and vehicles must be made.  How to manage bills from another country, because we all still have bills.  Credit cards and bank accounts must be notified about overseas activity.  Doctors and dentists appointments must be scheduled.  These are just a few of the important things you must do before you leave...the list goes on and on.  So many things need to be done you begin to have dreams about more things you need to do before you can leave.

Finally as the odds and ends start to get marked off the list, you begin to focus on friends and family and the need to say good-bye.  This for me is always the hardest part.  I wish I could take everyone with me because I dislike good-byes.  Actually I dislike change of any kind, yet I'm excited about this new journey.  Yes, I know that doesn't make sense! 

Departure Day is a day with mixed emotions.  Since for me this day meant Robert was leaving first and I would be following him out about 4 to 6 weeks later it was a very emotional day.  I was excited for him, scared, worried and sad that we would be spending the next several weeks apart.  Unfortunately due to a lost passport I had to wait to join him and this added to my stress level.  In a perfect world we would have left together. 

The waiting was the next part of the journey.  Waiting for him to arrive safely in Colombia.  It seemed like hours and hours before I finally heard from him.  It was almost midnight and he was suppose to have been at his hotel by 11:00pm so I was beginning to panic, then I got a phone call from some strange number and it was him.  Hearing his voice was music to my ears!  I was so happy and relieved that he had arrived safely.  Prayers had been answered.

Now the REAL journey begins.  Making a life in a new country with a different language and learning to adapt.  I'll keep you posted as the story unfolds.


1 comment:

  1. Why did you quit writing? I have to say that this is a post card blog. There are so many like this. Superficial. Why not read Gabriel Marquez and explain how Cartagena is where he spent much time. Say that Shakira is from Barranquilla. Talk about the Farc querillas. Explain how in Colombia blacks live along the coast and pretty much no where else. Get off Boca Grande and explore the neighborhoods. What are the schools like? Why does everyone have bars on their windows. Write about the culture. Not about the façade.

    ReplyDelete