Sunday, September 29, 2013

Road Trip To Baranquilla, Colombia

Yesterday we took a day trip to Baranquilla, Colombia. 

Baranquilla is a city located in northern Colombia, near the Caribbean Sea.  As of 2011 the population was listed as 1,885,500 which makes it the fourth most populous city in Colombia.

The city is located about 2 hours from Cartagena.  The drive was beautiful with the Caribbean Sea on one side and hills with lush valleys on the other.  Along the way there were numerous small fishing villages nestled along the route.  The road from Cartagena to Baranquilla is a 2 lane curvy road until you get about 30 minutes outside of Baranquilla, then it becomes a 4 lane nice highway.

Living in Cartagena the area is flat with water surrounding you.  The view I look at each day is filled with modern condos, hotels and businesses.  Although the ocean is beautiful to look at each day I miss seeing miles and miles of nothing but green.  Yesterday, I sure did get to see that!

Our mission Saturday was shopping.  Baranquilla has a store called PriceSmart which is like a Sam's Club or Costco in the US.  You buy a membership and everything is in a warehouse setting. 

I was so excited about this trip I hardly slept the night before. 

Our friends Toni and Doug came with us.  The driver arrived in the van to get us at about 9:20am and we picked Toni and Doug up and headed out. 

Once we arrived in Baranquilla  the driver took us by the Mall first.  I was so impressed.  It was 4 stories high and very modern and much like what we have in the US.  I even found a Payless Shoe Store and bought me a new pair of shoes.
Next it was PriceSmart and it did not disappoint.  The amount of US products was great and I was so excited to find USDA beef and pork.  The selection of can goods here in Cartagena is not that great so my BIG score yesterday was Van Camp Pork n Beans (bought 2 cases) and Hunts Stewed Tomatoes and Hunts Tomato Paste.  I had also been sad that I couldn't find any Tortilla Chips in Cartagena and was excited to find Tostitos Chips. 

We took a large cooler and I was thrilled to find a great frozen section.  I came home with Red Baron frozen pizza, El Monterey Burritos and Quesadillas.  They had Campbell's soup, Kraft Ranch Dressing, and off all things to miss from home...pickles.  The stores in Cartagena don't have pickles.  There were numerous other things we got.  Four hours, 2 baskets and $2,000,000 pesos later we were headed home.

I do believe between our friends and us we had at least half a cow and 1 pig in meat in the van on the drive home!!!!

It was a long day, about 9 hours from start to finish,  but well worth the drive.  I am already making my list for the next trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment