Thursday, October 3, 2013

Beach Life In Cartagena

Today I realized that I have been living in Cartagena for a month now and I really haven't shared much about the beach.  Many of the Colombians of Cartagena are dependent on the Caribbean for their income.  It can be in the way of fishing, renting out their jet ski or pulling tourists on tubes.  Then you have the vendors, which are many.  I do believe you can buy ANYTHING on the beach.  You could go broke and must quickly learn how to say NO.  They aren't rude about it, just trying to make a living.  You also have the people who each day set out umbrellas and chairs to rent.

Today my friend called and wanted me to join her for coffee on the beach.  I decided to bring my camera and thought it was time to show you the beauty that is only 20 feet from my front door.  The only thing between me and this beautiful ocean is a street.

This is a picture of my building.  I simply walk out that door and the Caribbean and it's beauty awaits me.

Although this small bar is right here,  you forget.  It's nestled in the trees and doesn't come to life until around 8 or 9 each morning.  The night comes fast in Cartagena and is dark by 6:00pm, this place will close down by dusk and will not awaken until the next day.  That's my building with the blue in the background.

I was sitting at one of these tables, just enjoying a drink and people watching. 

The people that run this place are so sweet and friendly.  This lady was busy selling drinks and food and when she noticed me watching her... I asked if I could take a picture, she said 'Si. 

I can walk to this place faster than I could go to the mailbox at my house in the states, I feel so blessed to have this beauty to look at everyday.

 I'm trying to enjoy the simple things about Colombia, the way the people work hard, but always have a smile on their face.  The manner in which they smile and nod when you say no to their request to buy their goods for the 100th time.  They just move on and aren't angry or upset.  The beauty in an old run down little shop that is the source of income for a family.  I see the beauty in it....sure it's not all perfect and the tables and chairs are cheap and shabby, but I see the beauty.  It really takes my breath away. 

Everyday I watch from my balcony as they put out these chairs and umbrellas hoping for tourists.  They are never disappointed, the tourists come and most days the beach chairs and umbrellas are full.

These are a few of the vendors you can find on the beach.  Crabs fresh from the Caribbean and delivered to your table.

Dresses, t-shirts....
And even when I said 'no gracias....he just smiled and walked away. 

Ice Cream....

Drinks....

  The beauty is every single place you look!

I'm not sure why I am so blessed to have this opportunity, I thank God each day, but since you can't be here I want to share it with you.  Show you all what a third world country can show us about simple life and living.  Taking what God has given us and making the most of our life.  This isn't a 5 star beach with everything all polished and perfect.  Most of their clothes are old, torn and worn...many have no shoes.  They don't appear to feel sorry for themselves, they aren't asking for a handout.  They have a service or product and they peddle it all day and come back and do it again and again.

Long after I leave this beautiful country and go back to my comfortable life in the US, these people will still be doing the same thing...day after day.  They are happy...loving life and who wouldn't if you got to see this beautiful place every single day.

Sorry for all the pictures today but I felt I had to show you all of them  for you to truly see what I get to see each day. 

Cartagena is like the best kept secret of South America and I'm happy to see that big chains haven't come in and spoiled this diamond in the rough.  Hope you enjoyed the tour of beach life in Cartagena.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I loved your perspective on this beach. I truly see the beauty in local simple living... where do you live in Cartagena? I mean what is your neighborhood called?
    my family and I might be moving to Cartagena and we are interested in a safe place, very close to the beach, with a local flavor. We are nor loooking for polished-shinny looking places if you know what I mean....

    ReplyDelete