Friday, October 11, 2013

Learning the Language

When I knew I was coming to Colombia I began to research all that I could about this country.  I knew the language spoken was Spanish and decided to download an app on my phone to translate.  The only problem is that you must have Internet access to use it.  This doesn't help me much when I am out and about since I don't have an international plan on my IPhone due to the expensive cost.  The translation app helps when I am at home and connected to wifi and I would recommend anyone traveling to Colombia to go ahead and download it, it's free, since at hotels and many restaurants they provide free wifi.  Of course if you are in a taxi or out on the street walking around this app will not help.  My suggestion is that you either buy a small translation book to keep in your purse or pocket and to at least learn some key phrases.

Here are a few of the key words you will need to know to get around in Colombia:

bathroom...........................bano

water..................................agua

ice.......................................hielo  (think yellow)

left......................................izquierda

right...................................derecho

straight..............................recto

right here...........................aqui

stop....................................parada

beer....................................cerveza

hello....................................hola

good morning...................Buenas dias  *learn the difference they are big on greetings

good afternoon................Buenas tardes *

good night........................Buenas noches *

yes.....................................si

no.......................................no

no thank you....................no gracias *you will need this for vendors selling their goods

good bye..........................adios

thank you.........................gracias

beautiful............................muy bueno

lovely................................bonito

good..................................buena

how much.........................cuanto

Learn your numbers from one to ten in Spanish.


If you are living in Colombia you should really learn the language, but if you are only a visitor for a short period you could get by with at least knowing these words.  Although you will find Colombians here and there who know a small amount of English, the majority of Colombians are Spanish speaking.

The thing to always remember when trying to communicate in Colombia is SMILE and don't get upset if they cannot understand you.  The Colombians are very friendly and kind and actually do really well with guessing what it is you are trying to say.  They seem to be able to figure out hand gestures or pointing to what you are asking about and are good about going and finding someone who knows some English to help out.  Just don't stress and try to speak slowly.....we tend to speak fast and I've noticed if I speak slowly they can sometimes figure out what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment