Monday, October 14, 2013

Shopping in Cartagena

When I decided to write this blog I had two reasons.  One was to keep friends and family updated on what life was like here.  The other reason was I hoped that if another expat like myself was ever moving to Cartagena,  I could share some helpful information.

When I knew we would be moving here I began to search the internet for all the info I could find.  Having done the international thing before, I knew the things you needed to look for.  Like what was available in grocery stores(you bring things from home you can't find here), do they have department stores(like Walmart or Target), how do you communicate with people in the USA(do they have unlimited international calling plans like we do in the states) and so on and so on.  Well I couldn't find much information at all.  I had to just bring what I thought I would need and use my experience in Thailand to help me think of things.   Once I arrived I asked tons of questions but knowing before I arrived would have been more helpful.

Sometimes I may blog about things that seem boring or not interesting but it could be helpful to someone who is moving here like myself so understand this is why I share it.

Well one thing I totally didn't think I would find in Cartagena was a Dollar Store.  We certainly didn't have that in Thailand.  The Dollar Store I found is located in the Walled City and is actually called Dollar King.  It really has stuff just like in the states and I actually found many small things I needed for our condo.  When I was leaving to come to Colombia and was making lists of things I needed for the condo, I shopped at the Dollar Store in the states.  I knew that many of the items I was getting I would be leaving in Colombia so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on them.  I did manage to spend over $100 US at the Dollar Store in the states and we laughed about that, well believe it or not I managed to do the same in Colombia!  Now each time I go in the Dollar King they smile and point and say something in Spanish, I'm pretty sure they are saying "Crazy American"...Ha Ha
They also have a few fabric stores I found in the Walled City.  They are on the same street as the Dollar King.
Now the thing I really got excited about is I found a craft store, also located in the Walled City. 
My last big score that day was I found a ribbon store.  The entire store from ceiling to floor was ribbon.  I was giddy with excitement.  Also located in the Walled City.  There was also a button store but I didn't get a picture of it but it was very interesting to see a store filled with nothing but buttons.


No comments:

Post a Comment